Pages

Monday, December 8, 2014

What Prevents me from allowing Him to direct your life?

Oh, we were just talking about this the other day at Church, this idea that God has given us agency and he trusts us and loves us enough to let us use it, and sometimes the very fact of Agency is really, really Hard!

Why is it hard though?  I think maybe it comes down to the natural man in me--that scrappy enemy to God who is selflishly interested in fulfilling all the needs of the body no matter what.

Needs of the body--food, comfort, shelter, sex...our body is pretty selfish...and sure that sex one brings up a lot of trouble--people do terrible things to themselves and others in order to satisfy the various sexual desires of the natural man, but what about "comfort?"

Sure sex is the  natural man issue that gets the most attention, but the low-grade sinning I do, my anger, arguing, laziness, selfishness, etc... often has more to do with comfort than anything.  My natural man can't be bother to get up and help with the dishes or play with my children or go out and do the service the Lord needs me to do.   I'd rather watch TV, take a nap, play games, eat food, than do anything for anyone else, or do anythign that might make me uncomfortable.

Work? Serve? Sacrifice? Patience? love? forgiveness? Repentance? All of that takes time and emotional energy that I'm not sure I've got--at least that is what the natural man says.

So, what prevents me from letting the Lord direct my life?  Comfort, for the most part, I think, and my natural man desire for it.

So what is the solution?

Jesus said "come unto me all ye that are heavy laden and I shall give the rest, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light..." (that's close to the scripture at least, right?)

This takes faith maybe?  To understand that the burden of the selfish, self-serving natural man is much heavier than the burden of the selfless, other-serving man of God.

Today I will choose to be a man of God.  Today I will choose to put others first. Today I will choose to follow the Savior.

And then, I will sit back and enjoy the yoke of discipleship, and the peace of mind that comes from it.



No comments:

Post a Comment